Old 18-04-2011, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Weeds, the killing of(from another thread)

In message , Baz
writes
The OP said

Subject: Hi All, newbie from Essex.
From: Mark Baigent
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

Hi all

Today I started (must not rush things) by using a borrowed hedge
trimmer to cut all the jungle down to earth level, I need to level a
mound of earth to make a sitting area under a big oak tree. I guess
that I will turf it as well.

But do I need to do anything to stop all the nettles, brambles etc
coming back up?

All the best
Mark

Your posting messed up the quoting Baz, you put it under Marks sig and
any decent newsreader will snip it in the reply.

anyway, managed to fiddle it.

Not sure of the point of starting another thread on this though, IME you
end up gettign the same arguamnets in 2 places..

I for one am a bit confused with it all and have read some of the replies,
but not all of them.
Bitching, sarky, praggy, sometimes threatening answers have been posted.

That's Usenet sometimes.

Is it all a bone of contention?

Obviously.

Does Pastor work?

If so how does a domestic
household obtain such a powerful set of chemicals?

AIUI, you are not supposed to legally. no doubt some suppliers will
provide it though.

We can all get
glyphosate but in a weak solution, yet can not be trusted to have it in an
industrial strength!

Read Janet's reply about it's contents, it isn't glyphosphate.

Time will tell but I am willing to bet that the op did not anticipate such
a tangled and confused reply.

Possibly not, but that's the way it goes. Ignoring the spat with Harry,
the rest of the advice was pretty consistent. wait for it to regrow a
bit and then treat with SBK brushwood killer, probably a few times.

without chemicals, mowing the nettles etc. regularly will probably kill
them eventually, or cover with heavy duty plastic sheet/membrane and
leave for a year or so (i've done that here successfully in a patch).
Well established Brambles as Sacha said are another kettle of fish.
chemicals, or digging the main roots out would be necessary I guess.
--
Chris French