Old 19-04-2011, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Strawberries !

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Snag wrote:
Hey y'all , I have a strawberry question . I bought one of those
packages of 10
(June-bearing) plants at wallyworld , planted them in a prepped bed a
week or so
ago according to the package instructions . How long should it take
before I start seeing new growth ?

It depends on the conditions, if it is too cold they won't do much. If not
in full sun they will be slower.

These are well-rooted (roots 5-6"
long) starts . The wife sez she doesn't think we'll get berries this
year , but the web sites I've looked at seem to indicate a small crop
the first year ... and better in succeeding years depending on how I
care for them . I'm on new ground here , haven't a clue what I'm
getting into . But we love strawberries , and for a couple of bucks
worth of starts and a little work I'm willing to try .

You may get a small crop the first year. Keep the weeds down and
manure, water and mulch during summer. Note that mulch goes under
the leaves :-)

David

I prepared the bed by tiling under some turf , letting it stand a couple
weeks , tilling in some compost , then laying a double layer of newspaper
topped with 3" of the same compost . Once they get a little growth I'll be
adding a layer of mulch too . There are no plans to use chemicals ... my
marigolds are sprouting !
Top of compost is warm, 2" down is still pretty cool . The bed gets pretty
good sun from 9-ish until midafternoon . I'm probably just being impatient

Snag
Learning keeps
you young !