Old 19-04-2011, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Labels

In message , David in
Normandy writes
On 2011-04-15 23:21:18 +0100, Dave said:

On Apr 15, 10:58 pm, wrote:
In article94f7b283-74c6-4df2-abad-384bcc5b67e9
@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com, says...

We have been going on about fading labels for a long time.
How about some lateral thinking.
How about dark or blach labels and white ink?

Years ago I saw some black coated labels you marked by scratching,
and
the scratch showed white.

For permanent plantings I use aluminium labels marked with an ele
ctric
etcher. For veg garden and seed trays I use white plastic labels and a
black waterproof pen (lasts long enough for a season)

Janet

I use around 3000 labels a year, last year I planted out close to 5000
dahlias, I need something easy, cheap and reliable, hence the idea of
white on black labels

Dave, we get our labels from Longcombe Labels (I'm going to check that)
and have a label printer which works from Matthew's computer. Would
that be any good to you? It prints a row of four labels across at a
time and you can select tie-ons or stick-ins etc.

Have a label printer but every time I load the varieties onto the
computer it crashed, so I havn't used it, but so many labels are one
off that hand writing is easier,

Do you use special none-water based ink? Whenever I've got any
printouts even damp the ink just spreads and becomes unreadable.

Inkjet printouts presumably? The output from laser printers isn't water
soluble so doesn't have this problem.

but the sorts of label printers I've seen use some sort of thermal
process (technically, I guess lasers are a thermal process as well). Not
the old fax type thing that fades :-) but either direct onto the label ,
or using a printer ink ribbon
--
Chris French