Old 19-04-2011, 10:03 PM
hellomabel hellomabel is offline
Registered User

Location: Cornwall
Default Bracken (again)

Please forgive me raising this thorny topic again - there was a recent discussion on ways to deal with bracken which descended into verbal fisticuffs and name-calling. Unfortunately, as someone with a bracken problem, I didn't get a clear sense of what people were recommending and why. So I'll try again...

I want to find out the best way to tackle my 1/4 acre patch of bracken (which hasn't started showing yet). So far as I can see, I have three options:

1. Leave the bracken to act as a mulch/weed suppressant, and remove it in small areas only as and when I actually want to plant something.

2. Spray the bracken with Asulox/Asulam or get a professional in to do so.

3. Pull up the stalks by hand. (Access is very difficult for rotavators or machinery of any kind.)

Can someone give me simple pros and cons for each option? I'm after knowledge here, not shouting matches.

Thanks.