Old 20-04-2011, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Why are Orchids so expensive

They are not rare...they are very difficult to grow at times...one
mistake and your out of $16 to $75 that I have seen. I don't know if
you get any guarantees on them though.

They are rare in North America and northern Europe- at least the showy
flowering ones are. And they require specific conditions to flower,
which are not available to N. American or European growers unless you
put in the money. So those suppliers that sell orchids sell them to
the cognoscenti or the naive.

Which are you?

Chris