Old 20-04-2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Strawberries !

Rick wrote:
Strawberries tend to put a lot of energy into developing a good root
system at first. Once new leaves start popping out the flowers will
soon follow. Conventional wisdom is to pinch off the flowers so more
energy goes to the plant in the first year, but I have never been able
to do that g. Strawberries are pretty hardy and probably won't get
you any greif unless you have a hot wet summer and then fungal
diseases like brown rot can be a problem. Plan on 3-4 productive
years on the plants, and you'll get plenty of runners from most
varieties.

ALL summers in Memphis are hot and wet . Well , hot and very humid . When I
opened the package , I saw these stringy roots with a small brown lump at
the top buried in a wad of dry mossy looking stuff . A lot of them still had
a short piece of runner coming from the lump.
Looks like I just need to be more patient ...
--
Snag
Learning keeps