Old 20-04-2011, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Why are Orchids so expensive

They are not rare...they are very difficult to grow at times...one
mistake and your out of $16 to $75 that I have seen. I don't know if
you get any guarantees on them though.

If you want less expensive orchids, attend an orchid show. Many
hobbyists sell their plants for less than charged at retail nurseries.

You might also try to find a nursery that specializes in orchids. They
often grow their own stock and thus do not have to markup from wholesale
to retail.

In any case, a plant in flower -- almost any plant other than annuals in
pony packs -- generally costs more than the same plant not in flower.
But who wants to buy an orchid if you can't see what the flower might
look like?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean