Old 20-04-2011, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Why are Orchids so expensive

They are not rare...they are very difficult to grow at times...one
mistake and your out of $16 to $75 that I have seen. I don't know if
you get any guarantees on them though.

They are rare in North America and northern Europe- at least the showy
flowering ones are. And they require specific conditions to flower,
which are not available to N. American or European growers unless you
put in the money. So those suppliers that sell orchids sell them to
the cognoscenti or the naive.

Which are you?

Chris

My Phalaenopsis orchid blooms quite well, almost every year, in my
breakfast room window. The flowers last a few weeks.

My Cymbidium orchid did not bloom for four years. Then I moved it onto
a patio in full sun (bringing it indoors only when the weather forecast
indicated a killing frost, 2-3 nights this past winter). One long spray
of flowers just finished a month of bloom. I see two other flowering
shoots starting.

Yes, you do need the right conditions for orchids to live and bloom.
You also need the right conditions for peonies or tulips to live and
bloom; my climate is not right for either of those two. And you need
the right conditions for lemons and guavas, which thive in my back yard.

Conclusion: Stick with what is suitable for your own garden. Don't try
rosemary or oranges in Duluth. Don't try rhododendrons in Palm Springs.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean