Old 20-04-2011, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Fast climbers for hiding ugly things

On 19/04/2011 21:44, AL_n wrote:
I need a fast-growing climbing plant with plenty of foiliage; something
fairly cheap. I want to train ot onto some wires I will be stringing up.
The idea is to hide a nearby road from view while I'm sitting in my
favourite spot in the garden.

I'm about 200 yds from the sea, and on the Douth Coast of England. I'm not
an avid gardener, so low maintenance plants are preferred.

Fast growing and low maintenance are almost always mutually exclusive.

You might get away with something like perrennial sweet pea if you don't
mind it being bare in mid-winter. Annuals like peas and beans are
another option for quick climbers.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? We only have minor garden centres nearby
so please suggest something fairly common!

At first I was thinking Russian Vine, but then I remember how out of
control those things can get. Mind you, "the triffid" was great
conversation-piece!! ;-)

Don't forget that if it grows tall very quickly then it will very
probably keep on going skywards way past the height that you want it and
that will entail significant annual maintenance.

Regards,
Martin Brown