Old 20-04-2011, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fast climbers for hiding ugly things

On 2011-04-19 21:44:27 +0100, "AL_n" said:

I need a fast-growing climbing plant with plenty of foiliage; something
fairly cheap. I want to train ot onto some wires I will be stringing up.
The idea is to hide a nearby road from view while I'm sitting in my
favourite spot in the garden.

I'm about 200 yds from the sea, and on the Douth Coast of England. I'm
not
an avid gardener, so low maintenance plants are preferred.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? We only have minor garden centres
nearby
so please suggest something fairly common!

At first I was thinking Russian Vine, but then I remember how out of
control those things can get. Mind you, "the triffid" was great
conversation-piece!! ;-)

Al

Holboellias which are fast growing, evergreen, sweetly scented in early
spring and hardy. They won't do it all in one season, though! However,
once they get going, they're vigorous and will need to be chopped back
once a year in autumn to the level you require. I wouldn't touch Russian
Vine with a bargepole unless you're trying to cover a very very large
area that is otherwise totally barren and have no neighbours.

Yes, Holboellia sounds ok - I was going to suggest Trachelospermum. But
what is their resistance to salt spray like?

In fact, I would guess that salt spray could be a major problem with
many fast-growing evergreens that can be used further inland (eg some
Clematis, Lonicera, and even Passiflora caerulea). There is also a
possible problem with high winds ripping climbers off - even the best
would suffer in a south-westerly gale!

--

Jeff