Old 20-04-2011, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Labels

On 2011-04-15 23:21:18 +0100, Dave Hill sa

id:

On Apr 15, 10:58 pm, Janet wrote:
In article 94f7b283-74c6-4df2-abad-384bcc5b67e9
@r4g2000prm.googlegroups.com, says...

We have been going on about fading labels for a long time.
How about some lateral thinking.
How about dark or blach labels and white ink?

Years ago I saw some black coated labels you marked by scratchi

ng,
and
the scratch showed white.

For permanent plantings I use aluminium labels marked with an

ele
ctric
etcher. For veg garden and seed trays I use white plastic labels an

d a
black waterproof pen (lasts long enough for a season)

Janet

I use around 3000 labels a year, last year I planted out close to 5000
dahlias, I need something easy, cheap and reliable, hence the idea of
white on black labels

Dave, we get our labels from Longcombe Labels (I'm going to check that)
and have a label printer which works from Matthew's computer. Would
that be any good to you? It prints a row of four labels across at a
time and you can select tie-ons or stick-ins etc. If you want to know
more about it I'll get some info from Matthew. We've had this printer
quite a while so others may have come out that are even faster but it
does whiz through them terribly quickly.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Have a label printer but every time I load the varieties onto the
computer it crashed, so I havn't used it, but so many labels are one
off that hand writing is easier, Pricked out 400 dahlia seedlings
yesterday and have about the same again to do today, and when taking
dahlia cuttings I can be taking one of a variety or 40 so with around
300 varieties it gets to complicated to have to print them off,
differeny for plants going to customers, I'll have to try again with
the printer, after all it's a lot of money doing nothing.
David

Okay, I finally remembered to look at the Nursery computer. *The
program is HLS Pro made by a company called Greenfield Software Ltd.
and the label printer is a Toshiba TEC. *I can't see a model number on
it.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Thats what I have Sacha.
Got 1000dark green labels and 100 black bed labels yesterday so I will
be trying them with white ink against the normal white with black ink.