Old 20-04-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Fast climbers for hiding ugly things

Sacha wrote in :

We're not near the sea but our outdoor Holboellia gets plenty of cold
winds chucked at it and comes through it. It looked a bit battered
after last winter but still hung on in there.
But if the OP is in doubt about climbers making it through the wind or
salty air, he may prefer to grow a hedge of e.g. Griselinia which is
very salt tolerant or Elaeagnus ebbingei.

Unfortunatelky a hedge is not possible. I need the climber to cover a wire
grid extending 39 inches above a 5ft wall.

Southwesterly gales do haoppen here, but usually in winter. I don;t really
need the screened privacy in winter, so if it gets a bit blown away, it'll
be ok as long as it grows back in spring.

One side of it will face due South. The lower mortion of the plant will be
in the shade. Hope that won't cause a problem.

Thanks to the other respondees.

Al