Old 21-04-2011, 02:47 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Any Artful ideas?

"David E. Ross" wrote:
T.green wrote:

plastic bottles on poles to scare away birds, at the moment they look a
little dreary and i thought i could possibly paint them or something

To scare birds, get some old compact discs (CDs) that no one wants
(music, software, etc). Drill a small hole near the edge. Thread some
kite twine through the hole and knot it back on the the rest of the
twine. Hang the CDs on about 1 to 1-1/2 feet of twine from various
points around your allotment. The CDs will twist in a slight breeze and
flash sunlight.

I do this to keep birds away from my fruit trees. I hang the CDs about
2-3 weeks before I expect the fruit to ripen. If I hang them too soon,
the birds get used to them just in time to snatch my ripe fruit.

I hang CDs inside certain of my windows to fend off birds from
attempting to fly through (outlines of raptors taped to the back of
shades help some too) but I would never do anything to thwart birds
from my garden... they are entitled to a share of the crop for all the
good they do eating insects/grubs etc. plus fertilizing naturally.
When I want to protect ripening fruit I use netting, that's really the
only way. Hungry birds aren't the least bit thwarted by dangling
doodads... scarecrows are for making farmers feel-good... crows, jays,
etal. just laugh as they pick the best of the crop. I put up three
owl decoys in my vegetable garden, but they are just decor for me, the
birds use them for poop posts for all they are ascared. The ONLY
correct answer is NETTING!