Old 21-04-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Where are the worms?

"Jim Allan" wrote in message
Until I moved to my present address over 5 years ago I had good results
with compost making. I use a 3 bin system - 1 - filling, 2 - maturing and
3 - ready for use. In the past the third bin always had a huge number of
pink worms which appeared from nowhere and greatly improved the texture
and quality of the finished compost. Materials composted are grass
clippings, shredded prunings and kitchen vegetable waste.

Since moving to my present address there has been a total absence of worms
in the compost. I have tried adding some from a neighbour's bin and have
even - against my better judgement and the habits of a lifetime - bought
some in. None has survived!

While the compost produced is acceptable, it is noticeably inferior to the
stuff processed by worms

Any ideas of what might be wrong? Bins 1 and 2 are wooden, bin 3 is
plastic (inherited with property) and all are on an earth base.

Jim

The only clue I could offer is water. Do you water your compost with water
from the tap and it is detrimental? I water mine with water from the butts.
My daughter who has a massive compost area, (A JCB Shovel can get in)
doesn't do anything with hers except turn it and let rain water do the work
and hers is built in the form of a concrete bay. Concrete block sides and a
concrete base. And yes, millions of little pink works :-((

My bins. Only tiny compared, fit for our tiny gardens
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=A7TCLLF7

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.