Old 21-04-2011, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Where are the worms?

kay wrote in news:kay.825f736
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Jim Allan[_2_ Wrote:
;918468']Until I moved to my present address over 5 years ago I had good
results
with compost making. I use a 3 bin system - 1 - filling, 2 - maturing
and 3 - ready for use. In the past the third bin always had a huge
number of pink worms which appeared from nowhere and greatly improved
the texture and quality of the finished compost. Materials composted are

grass clippings, shredded prunings and kitchen vegetable waste.

Since moving to my present address there has been a total absence of
worms in the compost. I have tried adding some from a neighbour's bin
and have even - against my better judgement and the habits of a lifetime

- bought some in. None has survived!

While the compost produced is acceptable, it is noticeably inferior to
the stuff processed by worms

Any ideas of what might be wrong? Bins 1 and 2 are wooden, bin 3 is
plastic (inherited with property) and all are on an earth base.

Jim

Have bin 1 and 2 any worms? It's bin 2 where you really need them.

It's difficult to get the right conditions in a plastic bin, in my
experience.

Have all 3 bins got bases which are open to the ground?

If the bases are closed, then cut away sections of them to allow contact
with the soil. Otherwise, make sure the moisture balance is OK, and try
adding some ordinary garden soil. I always get hundreds of the worms on
sheets of rotting cardboard - try adding an old cardboard box, without
shredding it.

Yes, cardboard should always be kept and used in the heap if possible.
A bit off the thread I know but worth mentioning.
We try not to throw anything away that can be useful to compost.

Baz