Old 21-04-2011, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] rbel@rbel1.plus.com is offline

Default Olive Tree

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:58:43 +0100, Paul Luton
wrote:

On 18/04/2011 21:13, wrote:
On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:16:01 +0100, wrote:

I have a small olive tree that was bought for me as a present some years
ago. It used to reside on a west-facing wall but didn't grow much at all.
I re-potted it to a larger pot, but still nothing. I have since moved house
and wonder where to place the tree in the new garden. Also, should I take
it out of the pot and replant in a bed?
I'd be grateful for any advice as I don't really want to discard the plant.

Whilst I am definitely no expert on olive trees, we have had a small
one in a container on our terrace for several years. It was planted
in John Innes 3 compost in a 50 cms earthenware pot and located in a
south west facing position. It is now over a metre tall and a good
shape due to an annual trim. Apart from watering every couple of
weeks and a half strength dose of miracle grow twice a year we neglect
it.

rbel

Any hints about the annual trim? Ours is getting
rather misshaped due to strong growth in the wrong place.

Our tree is not grown for fruit (although it does produce some) so I
now snip it back to what I consider to be a pleasing shape each
spring. I didn't touch it for the first four years and then removed
all the unwanted growth, cutting just above a shoot that looked as
though it was pointing in a reasonable direction. It then gets the
first of its bi-annual feeds.

rbel