Old 22-04-2011, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Where are the worms?

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:10:31 +0100, Jim Allan
wrote:

Until I moved to my present address over 5 years ago I had good results
with compost making. I use a 3 bin system - 1 - filling, 2 - maturing
and 3 - ready for use. In the past the third bin always had a huge
number of pink worms which appeared from nowhere and greatly improved
the texture and quality of the finished compost. Materials composted are
grass clippings, shredded prunings and kitchen vegetable waste.

Since moving to my present address there has been a total absence of
worms in the compost. I have tried adding some from a neighbour's bin
and have even - against my better judgement and the habits of a lifetime
- bought some in. None has survived!

While the compost produced is acceptable, it is noticeably inferior to
the stuff processed by worms

Any ideas of what might be wrong? Bins 1 and 2 are wooden, bin 3 is
plastic (inherited with property) and all are on an earth base.

Jim

I emptied my small compost bin yesterday, as it happened a bit too
soon as it was not well-enough rotted down, BUT seething with worms!

Pam in Bristol