Old 22-04-2011, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Strawberry anthers

Frank Booth Snr wrote in news:cqydnftf5-
:

Although some of my plants are now flowering, I've noticed this year
there appears to be a lack of pollen normally seen dusting around the
edge of the anthers. Coupled with a lack of bees and pollinating
insects, I'm worried whether any strawberry stigmas will be pollinated
if the anthers prove sterile. I've got out my trusty water-colour
horsehair brush to try and hand pollinate the flowers, but there's just
no visible pollen around, although a few flowers have shed their petals
after a couple of days.

Could it be that your plants are old? I have read that they only last a few
years and shoots should be grown on.
My strawberries are not doing much good either. Flowers are there and have
been for a few weeks but nothing has set. I do water them during this dry
April.

Baz