Old 22-04-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mentalguy2k8[_2_] Mentalguy2k8[_2_] is offline

Default Planting a pot

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Did anyone see the Blue Peter gardener planting that tub /pot on
Breakfast this morning?
I thought it must be April 1st.
I don't think I've ever seen so many shrubs etc crammed into a
container that must ahve been no more than 24" probably less,
A spreading conifer, a rose bush, What looked like a golden
Philadelphus, 2 smaller plants possiblt Euonymus fortunei and some
thing else around the same size.

I think he was just demonstrating how to plant stuff in tubs, not advocating
cramming 643 plants into one! But it is slightly annoying when experts "dumb
down" these things but leave enough out so that the "dummies" will still
mess it up by following him literally.

I get annoyed by cookery programmes (esp Saturday Kitchen) where they chop
up a raw chicken, wipe their hands on a tea towel, use the same board and
knife to chop the salad, turn the (half cooked) chicken over with the same
tool that they serve it up with, then dry their hands on the tea towel and
use their hands to put the salad on the plate. People watch these things to
learn how to do it, I think they have a responsibility to explain the basics
like food hygeine and proper plant care before they go into specifics.