Old 23-04-2011, 05:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default What pollinates apples, besides bees?

Gunner wrote:
On Apr 8, 1:52 pm, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
What pollinates apples, besides bees?

I'd like to plant apple trees -- only a couple -- in my yard.

If I must have honeybees, then I'll look into the details of that.
But honeybees, who wander far, are likely to run into insecticides. I
live in a city, next to lots of neighbors and even a school. There's
no way to prevent them all from using bug-killer.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Seems safe enough to post w/o getting into the bee fray.

You should consider the self pollinating varieties:
http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/article/30/

This may help or you could choose two varieties that are mutually fertile.
It doesn't make much difference if there are no bees though.

David