Old 23-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Owdboggy Owdboggy is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwowders View Post
Hi all,

I've recently moved into a lovely new house with a massive garden. The lady who lived here before was clearly very proud of her garden, so its up to us to try and maintain it - problem is, we're relatively new to this game!

We've armed ourselves with a few books and set about the veg patch (looking good so far) but keep finding the same plants (weeds?) growing everywhere.

Several books suggest it might be Comfrey (which by all accounts would be a result) but I wanted to make a positive ID before making some home grown plant feed.

I've attached a pic - if anyone could let me know either way I'd be very grateful!

Thanks,

Ben
If the leaves are rough to the touch then it is Comfrey. Flipping awful weed it is too. Spreads everywhere and almost impossible to get rid of. And despite its reputation for being useful neither me nor my wife can touch the stuff without getting a rash.
If the leaves are smooth and soft then it could be Foxgloves, Digitalis purpurea. Nice native plant but not what you want in a veg patch.