View Single Post
  #25   Report Post  
Old 24-04-2011, 02:05 AM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2011

This is the absolute best way to get rid of your bamboo problem forever. You must cut everycane to the ground flush. When it shoots wait until the shoot gets tall and cut down everyone of them. When it shoots again let it get tall and cut the shoots down again. Never letting them get their leaves and branches will exaust the plants energy. If they are allowed to get their leaves and branches the rhizomes will keep growing. They need above ground growth to survive. When you exaust all of the terminal buds on the rhizome the plant will surely die. So when you cut the canes flush with the ground you can then mow it every week and mow the new shoots down. You might have to repeat this step the next year but it will work. The rhizomes only have so many growth buds so eventually it will run out. And it's free. And doesn't poison the ground with chemicals. I have ten years experience digging and growing bamboo. This method is guanteed to work. It's funny how some of us will pay outrageous prices to get rare bamboos and they usually die but if you hate it and get it free it lasts forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
About 10 years ago, my parents decided to harvest some bamboo from a
family friend.

We placed them along the border of our yard.

Flash forward a few years...they start appearing in our neighbors yard.

So I spent 3 years a day for a week pulling bamboo out of the ground.
I dug until I got to the bamboo then tried pulling it out.

As you all know their roots go out far (in all directions), so pulling
took ALOT of effort.

Now they are over running our yard and our neighbors yard again.

What can we do?

Is there a spray that we can use that wont kill our grass but will kill
the bamboo?

Is there a easier way to get rid of them?

Thanks