Old 24-04-2011, 05:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Lawn idiot needs help

octatonic wrote:
Hi there,

I have a badly maintained lawn that needs some assistance to get back
to health.

I put the lawn in 2 years ago and then injured myself badly enough
that I was unable to do any gardening until now.
I've spent the last two weeks cleaning it up and it looks like this:

[image: http://www.jamesrichmond.com/pic/lawn_0411.jpg]

The issues we are having a

Ground is a bit uneven in places.
Grass grows in clumps (thanks to a female dog that wees on it0 we are
discouraging her from doing it)
Generally poor condition of the grass.

How do I fix this?

Should I be mowing it- or using a strimmer to cut for now?
Should I be fertilising it and putting down some new seed and top
soil? Or just water it and mow it every 2 week?

There are things to feed your dog to lessen the damage. Research it.

Fertilize, but lightly to avoid increasing the dog problem.

Mow LONG at least once a week during the high growth period. If you wait too
long between mowings, you scalp the grass, leaving mostly stem and no leaves to
collect the sun.