Old 24-04-2011, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Plant identification

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:24:30 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Apr 24, 3:57*pm, Ian Waddell wrote:
On Apr 24, 3:29*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

On 2011-04-24 13:24:46 +0100, Ian Waddell said:

Does anyone know what this plant is? *It was growing in a hotel we
visited near Bath and has the most wonderful smell.

https://picasaweb.google.com/iwaddel...v1sRgCKnbsYb0m...

Unfortunately

couldn't get any of the foliage but it has smallish
green leaves.

Ian

A lilac of some kind? Possibly Syringa penda aka 'Bloomerang' and a new
cultivar. * Was it a fairly small and new shrub? I've only read about
it, never seen it.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Looks to me to be a form of Syringa *meyeri

Thanks both - just looked for it online and it indeed is Syringa
meyeri. *Think I'll get some of that tomorrow!

Ian- Hide quoted text -

Just taken pictures of the 2 I have

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...arfLilac01.jpg
This was bought last year from Lidl and was Labled Syringa Vulgaris
which it is definatly not, has a larger leaf than the next one but
still small compared to common Lilac.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...arfLilac02.jpg

I also have a form of Lilac that I have yet to have identified, when I
took a bit to Chelsea a few years ago, Hilliers said no idea, Notcuts
said No idea but we'd love to have some of it.
I still have to propogate it.
I got cuttings from a house in Cardiff many years ago and when I asked
them agout it they said we don't know but when we bought the house we
were told it was unusual.
I'll post a pic when it's out, if I remember.
David

David, both those seem to have pointed leaves. Mine which I
understood to be syriniga meyeri Palibiniana, have small round leaves.
Haven't studied the detail in this link but try this site;
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/shr...no.PL00080720/
I'm not advertising crocus, have never dealt with them! Photos look
right.

Pam in Bristol