Old 24-04-2011, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default Drought

In message , kay
writes

chris French;918803 Wrote:

Though it seems less of an
issue down here generally, than it was in Leeds when it's dry,
presumably because it's always very dry here anyway, so the water system

etc. is better able to cope?

Though when you were in Leeds, it was before they upgraded the water
system, wasn't it? They had a system installed when they thought it
impossible to have a drought in W Yorks, and it was very good at taken
water away, but there was no way of getting any water into the region.

Quite possibly. we moved 6 years ago. IIRC it was a year or two after we
moved (so around 95-96 or so)there they were tankering water over from
Kielder one summer. but kind of my point really, the system here has
needed to cope anyway already.

I think we've had about a fortnight of dry weather (I've been away, so
am reliant on hearsay). It's certainly quite dry here - Amelanchier and
fritillary petals drying on the flower rather than falling. But I've not
felt a need to water the garden, and last night it appears to have
rained quite hard.

Watering was probably the biggest difference when we moved here. The
soil is so much more free draining.

Farmers are going to have problems irrigating though at this rate as a
lot of the water is extracted from rivers etc. and they will quite
likley ahve limits on it.
--
Chris French