Old 24-04-2011, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Assistance please with Victoria Plum

petermb wrote:
Hi,

I have a small victoria plum tree that has been trained against a sun
facing fence.

I have noticed that the branches are covered in what I can only
describe as tiny barnacle like attachments. The leaves and branches
are covered in a sticky substance, which I can only presume is
originating from these small bumps.

Firstly can anyone identify this and then advise how I can remove it

Thank you in advance.

regards

Peter

It is an insect pest variously called scale or wax - usually prefixed with
the colour, eg white wax, brown scale. The lump looks different for
different ages and probably there are several species that act similarly.
The insect sucks the sap of the tree and makes the waxy lump for protection.
A bad infestation will weaken the tree. If the tree is only small you can
remove them by scraping with (say) a plastic knife. Otherwise spray with a
systemic insecticide and/or diluted soluble oil (pest oil, summer oil),
first check on the label for instructions and suitability. The wax will
protect the insect from contact insecticides that don't contain oil.

David