Old 25-04-2011, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nanzi Nanzi is offline

Default Have question about dwarf japanese maple about 4 feet... snowduring winter caused trunk to split..

On Apr 24, 6:46*pm, KOS wrote:
trunk split,, tree company tied it together with string to hold, say
they can nail it back... will this work? i was not familiar with this
technique, i thought that since the trunk was split there was no way
to fix.. is this something I can do myself? They want close to 300
bucks to do this. thanks

We have a lovely 20 year old Japanese Maple that is gorgeous, and
has a big split in it. When we had some trees removed, the arborist
suggested
that we get a 4 or 5" hose clamp to bring the branches back together.
He
also said not to put anything on it, like pruning oil, but ours is an
old
break.
Good luck with your tree.
Nan in DE