Old 25-04-2011, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Why Plant in June?

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 10:31:46 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

On 2011-04-25 11:35:08 +0100, Davy said:

I have grown some young marigold and sunflower plants in cells and they
look ready to go out. I am told by those who know that these plants are
planted out in June. But last frost here in Wessex is about mid April. Does
anybody know why they should not go out now?

Davy

After first frosts is the usual thought for when to plant things out. *
But here in the balmy SW we're cautious up to the beginning of May and
beyond that, if the signs are omnibus.

Shows how the climate is changing! Here in south Wales, the rule used
to be wait until late June. Over the years it's moved forward and now
it's supposedly middle of May (no frosts later than April for several
years now though I keep some fleece handy just in case). Last year the
first frosts (of autumn, not spring) didn't come until *November,
though they came with a vengeance then. Only problem was the summer
was a washout and just about everything in the open had been battered
flat by the beginning of September!

What size are the cells? If the sunflowers are in small cells, they
ought to be potted on into 3 inch pots now as they'll otherwise become
rootbound. Marigolds can stay in cells as long as they are the
15-to-a-seed-tray size, otherwise they should also be potted on.

The American Dahlia growers reckon that you can start to plant out
once Lilac comes into flower.

Which for me is about 2 weeks ago. I'm thinking of hardening off this
week and starting to plant out at the end of next week.