Old 26-04-2011, 06:07 PM
william Robb william Robb is offline
Registered User

Although a little slow to get going, our Clematis Avalanche is displaying the most beautiful flowers. It started flowering in mid April. We are in Edinburgh and the plant is growing in a corner of the garden, facing south. It doesn't get any sun until afternoon but seems happy to get on with it. We had a super-abundance of snow here during the winter and I did think that the plant might not survive, but it did. My Jasmine is also flowering and Edinburgh has some very cold weather. We live at the highest part of Edinburgh with strong winds blowing through the Pentlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
Recently, I have noticed a 'new' clematis named 'Avalanche'. According
to the name tag, it is hardy down to -8 degrees.

Has anyone got any experience with this one. After some really bad
cold weather my jasmin has given up the ghost and I'm looking around
for a hardy replacment which can stand the cold north east weather a
little more.

Can anyone offer other very hardy clematis other than this new
avalanche one? preferable an early flowering one.

Chris