Old 26-04-2011, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default Soil-less cold frame

On Apr 25, 10:01*pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:39:41 -0700 (PDT), Chris wrote:
Would I be able to put a small cold frame there? I cannot have soil
there, so it would be used to harden off seedlings in Spring, not grow
anything.

Sure, that'll work. *But the usual problem with cold frames is overheating, not
needing supplementary heat unless it's unusually cold and a very small frame.
I'd consider an automatic opener... makes life much easier unless you're home
all the time to adjust the coldframe. e.g.:http://www.mastergardening.com/too-1...-4TzuKgCFQkSbA...

I'm a little more puzzled as to the "can't have soil there" problem. *If
your deck can't take much static load, it's probably time to re-engineer it
so you don't wind up going through some morning when you step out with your
coffee and WHOOPS!!!!

The deck can take the load, but I did not want soil all over the
place.

But were I you, I'd probably toss a couple of bags of lightweight planting mix
in that cold frame in early fall and poke some holes in them to start winter
greens. *Fresh homegrown lettuce in January tastes mighty good.

A great idea! It will keep the frame warm and warm up the bagged soil
so I can put seedlings into it come Spring! Thanks,

Chris