Old 27-04-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sodium Chlorate

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 26/04/2011 19:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 26, 3:28 pm, wrote:

I am unable to buy this at garden centres as elf and safety have banned
it, or so they say. However I can buy it off the net, doesn't make
sense. Is there a good source of it, I find that the postage cost on the
net are rather high?

It is banned as it can be used to make explosives. So you can thank
our Pakistanis friends for that.

Not sure. Stand to be corrected, but I think you will find it is the Irish
you need to thank

Not true. Their preferred explosive mixture is ANFO for which the
ingredients are still widely available in bulk agricultural quantities.

No, it was the IRA - I remember when the process started - but the
real blame lies in Whitehall. Their SOP is to ban things that are
easy to ban, irrespective of whether they are a significant threat,
just as that was the SOP with airport 'security' and, to a great
extent, still is.

The same applies to true Elfin Safety. There was a VERY nasty
problem with benomyl and fertile women in commercial glasshouses,
so the solution was to ban it for domestic use and make no change
to its regulations for commercial use.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.