Old 27-04-2011, 10:08 PM
lannerman lannerman is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CluelessWilson View Post
Hi, I've moved into a new house which is riddled with brambles :@ I know they are hard to get rid of and I'm after a quick and easy solution to have the garden ready for my kids top play in this summer.

I have a few ideas on what to do but I would really like a pro's feedback to these ideas, some may seem stupid but I'm new to this so take it easy on my outlandish ideas please

Our garden is covered in loads of little stones (probably a whack idea from the previous tenant to rid them of brambles) but it makes it hard to dig the whole of the 22sqm area I want to work on.

My ideas are to cover the area with plastic and maybe some chip wood on top of that but I hear brambles can also grow through things like that and chip wood isn't exactly ideal for my clumsy 4 yr old boy as he'd be in an out every 5 minutes with a new cut I'd imagine but I may be wrong.

My other idea was to lay some plastics down in 2 or 3 layers to make a little harder for it to come through maybe get some top soil on top of that and turf it.

I'm at a dead end with the garden as digging seems to be impossible due to the stones, is there anything I can do and will the above work?

P.S I'm not keen on the idea of using weed killer either as these brambles are coming all the way through next doors garden and I am worried if I use a strong enough weed killer it will effect her garden too.

Help please!! CluessWilson
Hi CluelessWilson, Yes your second idea of several layers of sheeting covered with top soil and turfed would work, providing that the sheeting was the woven type, that would let water through (not a solid impervious layer)
The proper way to do it would be to systematically clear the brambles digging out the roots as you go, then turning over the soil by digging, then raking and levelling and THEN laying the turf. Which ever way you do it, make sure that you water the turf religiously, especially having had all this dry weather ! The success of turf laid in the summer is measured by giving it sufficient water until established to void shrinkage and gaps !!
Lannerman