Old 27-04-2011, 06:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Manually fertilize plum tree?

Billy wrote:
In article , "Bob F"
wrote:

I have a plum tree that is in full bloom. It's fruit is vary large
reddish yellow plums 3" long when ripe. Usually, it gets a dozen or
two fruit on it, but
one year I harvested 80 pounds of plums from it.

Here in Seattle, the spring has been cold and damp. There is no sign
of any bees. I am wondering if there is some way of fertilizing the
tree manually, perhaps be tapping a branch from my neighbor's small
fruit plum or my italian prune trees against it's blooms. Does
anyone have any knowledge about this they
could assist me with?

Large harvests are often followed by small harvests.

I've had ONE large harvest on this tree in 20 years. Normally, not more than a
dozen plums. It is one of the first blooming trees in my area. I strongly
suspect the problem might be lack of bees due to cool weather.