Old 29-04-2011, 09:22 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default cypress-issue

In message , Thomas Hoffmann
writes
Am 28.04.2011 21:40, schrieb Stewart Robert Hinsley:
'Boulevard' appears to be a Chamaecyparis pisifera cultivar. Nothing
springs to mind as to
why it should get labelled as obtusa, but the nursery trade has been
known to get things
wrong. See if the descriptions of pisifera 'Boulevard' match.

Thanks Steward
pisifera 'Boulevard' is described as small and not very tall. The
cypress of my aunt is about 5m=16 feet high. Could it be a pisifera
boulevard anyway?

TH

I don't know for sure. But it is notorious that (at least some) dwarf
conifers eventually become large - dwarf in respect to conifers means
slow growing rather than small.

The first hit in Google says 6-10 ft. Another says 3m (10ft) in 19
(suspiciously precise) years. Yet another says 1m in 10 years. Another
says 20 ft (but has a confusion between the species in general and the
cultivar, so I can't be sure which the figure applies to).

The RHS gives an ultimate height of up to 8m (25ft). If your aunt had
the plant for 20-30 years 16 feet sounds reasonable.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/plantselector/plant?plantid=409
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley