Old 30-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Seanhull Seanhull is offline
Registered User

Default Lawn help for total beginner

Hello all,

i have just moved into a new house and the lawn is a real mess. big bald spots, weeds and moss.

i started with a weed and feed which has killed the moss. i raked the dead black moss off. It did a half decent job with the dandelions too, visibly weakening them and i followed that up by digging out the roots.

now i am left with the big bald spots on the lawn. i dont own the house so digging up the lawn and laying new turf isnt really an option but i am prepared to reseed the garden. what is the best way to go about the seeding? When it comes to seeding anything i am a complete novice and any tips, no matter how small would be a big BIG help to me. someone i know has told me that raking in bonemeal to the soil and then covering the seeds with a light dusting of garden sand is the way to go. is this correct? also how often should i water the seeds?

I live in the UK.

Many thanks

Sean