Old 30-04-2011, 11:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm View Post
I have one of these vertical cherry trees which has all its branches close
to the main stem.A friend told me that I should trim the top to help bulk
out the tree.
I wanted to leave it to grow as tall as it wants to. Am I right or my
friend?
Blair
Isn't the whole point of it that you want it to be tall and slim and not to bulk out??

Amanagawa is the usual cherry with this habit.

Cherry trees are a bit dodgy to prune - inclined to get fungal diseases through the cut surface - for this reason you prune while in full growth rather than when dormant. If I were you, I'd leave well alone.