Old 01-05-2011, 02:09 PM
megsplot megsplot is offline
Registered User

Location: south coast
Smile Tree Fern problem

Hello, this is my first post.

I have problems with a tree fern that I've had for about 8-9 years. Originally I was advised by a garden centre to cut the fronds off each winter, fill the crown and protect the whole tree with garden fleece all of which I did and each year more fromds came. But as new fronds come from within the crown, it gradually got smaller and pointed. For the last 2 years the fronds have got smaller and smaller as there is less and less room so I'm now wondering what to do.

I wondered whether I should clip the crown down to create more internal room for new fronds, but I'm scared I might kill it.

It's in a very large pot as I was originally told there was virtually no root system (I've since learned that there is).

Can anyone offer suggestions please?

Many thanks,
Meg