View Single Post
  #2   Report Post  
Old 01-05-2011, 05:52 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by megsplot View Post
Hello, this is my first post.

I have problems with a tree fern that I've had for about 8-9 years. Originally I was advised by a garden centre to cut the fronds off each winter, fill the crown and protect the whole tree with garden fleece all of which I did and each year more fromds came. But as new fronds come from within the crown, it gradually got smaller and pointed. For the last 2 years the fronds have got smaller and smaller as there is less and less room so I'm now wondering what to do.

I wondered whether I should clip the crown down to create more internal room for new fronds, but I'm scared I might kill it.

It's in a very large pot as I was originally told there was virtually no root system (I've since learned that there is).

Can anyone offer suggestions please?

Many thanks,
Meg
Hi Meg, Seeing that this tree fern is in a pot, it sounds to me as if its been starved of water and food ? Its my experience that quite a few people dont realise just how much water they need, especially in a container ! How tall is the trunk and how big is the pot it's in ?? and is it kept in a shady spot ? As your on the south coast, in a 'normal' winter, it would just about be evergreen, so theres no need to remove the fronds, even with these recent colder winters, I'd suggest that you leave the fronds on, even if they go brown, as they will help give the crown some protection and then remove them in the spring AFTER the new fronds start to emerge if they are very tatty ! I'd repot it into a larger container and keep it well watered, especially watering around the crown. Also make sure you dont fill the container too full, so that you leave a gap into which you can add loads of water in dry weather.
Lannerman