Old 02-05-2011, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default garden cress

zibafu wrote:
Hi, people, I decided to grow some garden cress a week or so ago, the
reason being I had a pet budgie, and I am looking to introduce more
veg, fruits etc into his diet, read online that they can eat cress, so
thought what the hell, its easy enough to grow.

I went on ebay and bough a couple of 250 seed packets, which arrived,
on... thursday last week I think.

Anyhow, I planted them the same day using some multi purpose compost I
had previously bought, and out of the 500 seeds, only about 70 of them
have grown, is it normal for less than a quarter of them to grow,
cause it seems really odd to me, the ones that have grown have grown
quite well, in the 4 days they have been growing, I have kept them
well watered, kept them in decent light etc.

It depends on how old the seeds are, I would expect fresh cress to have a
higher germination rate than that.

The only thing is its been really warm for the last week, like 25'c,
could that have affected the growing in any way ?

I doubt it.