Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
vickstar vickstar is offline
Registered User

Default Bald bamboo - help please!

Hi all, this is my first message.

I have several bamboo plants ranging from three feet to 12 feet tall, some in pots and some in raised beds.

They have suffered this winter - I live up in the North Pennines and we had over a month of continuous snow and several weeks of constant sub-zero temps this winter (down to -15 for several nights), it was also quite windy. Some of the bamboos have wintered here previously and have, as usual, lost some leaves but now have vigorous growth. However, the plants we acquired last year (from a place that is lower and a little further south) have really suffered - they are literally bald, most particularly the tall plants, and some of their culms are turning brown. We did wrap them in fleece and heavily packed up the pots with bubble pack, old carpet and fleece.

I just don't know how to tell whether they're dead or just battered! Any ideas what to look for? Should I cut them back?

Thanks.