Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Richard J. Sexton

Default Crypt melt or nutrient deficiency or something else?

When crypts melt they do tend to take out whatever else is
in the tank. When this happens to me I make a massive (70%)
water change, then change 25% every day for three days and
add fertilizer at the normal rate. That seems to minimize the
damage and they come back reasonably cquickly.

Crypts melt because of an enviromnetal change. L~t the nitrates
get too high and they'll do it. Shut off circulation in the
tank and leave a heater on and that'll do it. Cut a lot
of crypt leaves and that'll do it. These are what I've
seen. I've heard that sudden cessation of CO2 injection
can do it too.

Crypt meltdowns can be utterly spectacular. They can go from
a lush full tank to NOTHING but stumps in two days flat.

The good news is you cant kill the rhizomes unless you utterly
dehyrate them. I had a handfull of crypts in a bucker with news
paper on top of them go unattended, forgotten for 18 months. When
I finally found them there was a handfull of slightly moiet rhizomes.

Three months later I took a picture of them:
http://images.aquaria.net/users/r/rs...k/sjotnk28.jpg
--
Richard Sexton | Mercedes Parts: http://parts.mbz.org