Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Seed Question(s)

taminglis wrote:
Hi,

Whilst in BnQ yesterday she managed to talk me into buying some seeds
(though secretly i wanted to do it too but shhhh, dont tell her .

Anyway, what we got was sweetcorn, carrots, lettuce and lettuce mixed
salad.

Now ive planted the sweetcorn. Perhaps 80 ,arge seeds and it said to
put 3 in each hole 30cm apart. No problem.

3 per hole is exceedingly generous, what are you going to do when all three
sprout in most of them, whcih will happen if the seed is good? i would
normally plant corn in a block (not in rows) one per hole and put up with
the odd one that doesn't germinate.

However the rest also say 30cm apart but theres literally hundreds of
them. ive got a reasonably sized garden but 1 seed that far apart id
need next doors garden too.

The lettuce and lettuce salad will do best if started in a seed tray and
then transplanted when about 7-10 cm high. Plant them about 15 cm apart.
The carrots you sow direct in a row about 3-6cm apart (or several rows about
20 cm between rows). You will thin them later to about 15-20cm spacing
depending on the size. You need to keep the seeds damp until they germinate
which is not as easy as it seems as they are so small. Both have rather
small seeds so don't plant them too deep, a few mm will do.

Is it literally 1 seed a hole again or is it more, say 50 in each hole
(joke).

No

Any advice chaps.

Also, i turned over the soil then mixed in some compost (BnQ) again
and also a couple of handfuls of perlite. is this the right thing to
do?

It wouldn't harm but not knowing the quality of your soil I cannot say if it
is sufficient. Corn is a heavy feeder so it will probably need more
fertiliser. The others don't need much fertiliser and carrots will
bifurcate if over fertilised.

David