Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mystery weed: red stems, gets big

In article ,
says...

Good morning, I'm hoping someone can identify this wretched weed for
me.

It's stout, sturdy: the stems are bright red: the leaves are long and
quite narrow (not linear) and appear in pairs up the stems, and are
green with a red central vein underneath.

It has just started appearing this year, so the ones I have are all less
than a foot high, but it goes quite tall, er, about three or four foot
high from memory.

I can't remember what sort of flowers it makes - I try to get them all
out before they get to that stage! - and most of the weed identification
sites seem to go with flower colour first. But the stems are
ridiculously red, rhubarb coloured, so I'm hoping someone might
recognise it, or at least give me some suggestions.....

It's so common that I feel a fool for having to ask, but I can't find it
in any of my gardening books, and I've had no luck on google either.

The sticky post asks us not to post photos, so I'm now trying to work
out how to get the photo that I have onto the internet for you - in the
meantime, does it sound familiar?

Please advise!

Rachel

--
Rachel 101

Try looking up Japanese knotweed and see if that fits, it sounds very
much like the newly emerging shoots and the timing is about right,
sometimes known as red devils down here
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk