Old 03-05-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Pea Seed Just Rot

On Sun, 1 May 2011 13:32:27 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On May 1, 2:20*pm, Davy wrote:
My first year of vegetable gardening I put mangetout seeds into the soil
and got a lovely crop.
But nowadays germination is slow and never eventually exceeds 40%;
examination of the misses turns up brown rotten peas.
So this year I sowed into pots and put in a propagator - nice warm soil so
should to well? But same result.
Anyone having same problem or better luck?
DAvy

I grow my peas in the conservatory in a length of plastic gutter, get
better than 95% germination. It takes about four days for them to
appear. I plant out when they are about 4" high by sliding out of the
end of the gutter into a pre-prepared gulley pulled out with the hoe.
I use a 50/50 mix of sand and compost in the gutter. You need to
watch the watering, not to let dry out or get too wet.

Peas don't like cold wet ground, you have been planting too early.

Our problem is slugs and snails. I'm blaming the slugs too but it's
the dead empty shells I find since I've put down pellets.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk