Old 03-05-2011, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What is the best way to support tomatoes?

harry wrote:
If they are in a greenhouse you need dangling strings. Wind the string
round the plant as it grows. Obviously you need a substantial place
to attach the strings to.
Outdoors you need canes or grow bush varieties.

I have used string for melons in the greenhouse, but the tomatoes I tend to
stick with canes. Is there any reason for using string over canes other
than it's a bit cheaper? (Although the number of times we've reused the
canes, even with 'free' bits of string I don't think there's much in it any
more .. especially compared to the price of the grow-bags!)