Old 03-05-2011, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Craven Craven is offline

Default Ants & Pollen / Nectar

On 02/05/2011 22:50, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Craven" wrote

I'm trying to make a bit of a container "bee garden" on my patio...
nothing serious, just a bit of fun and trying to do some good at the
same time.

I have quite a lot of ants outside - not a huge amount, but there are
always some visible on my plants - and I'm wondering do they take the
pollen and nectar?

Any info appreciated,

Always considered ants on plants to mean there are sap suckers at
work... aphids and scale insects are the ones. These insects secrete a
sugary fluid which the ants collect, they actually milk the insects for
the liquid. I'm also convinced that ants place or at least distribute
these insects on the plants.

I've heard about ants "farming" insects. Also some of the traps that
they set are quite ingenious.