Old 04-05-2011, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default What is the best way to support tomatoes?

chris French wrote:
Interesting. Does the lower part of the plant form roots on the ground?

Dunno. I guess it would though knowing tomato plants. It was a long time
ago I saw this. I don't think that was the point though, and the plants
I saw might have been growing through some sort of plastic sheet mulch
anyway. I think it's just to keep them growing longer and so producing
more trusses and tomatoes for longer.

*nod* But Nick already had something kind of similar planned, and the idea
/was/ to get more roots in, to make up for the main ball of roots being
quite shallow, so I thought it might combine ideas well. :-)
Bit of a win-win, will have to try it.

Although I'm not sure with your* method how you could lie down the bottom
of the plant and then have it going up the string without damaging the stem
at the 'fold'. (* yes, I know it wasn't /your/ method as such)

It's a gradual lowering process, with the plant curving up, rather than
a bend

Yeah, fair enough, i can see that working. But will make it a lot more time
consuming, which was what the original point was to avoid, cos it would need
doing every day or couple of days, I guess, where tying in would only be
once or twice a month.