Old 04-05-2011, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Orchid questions

On Mon, 2 May 2011 22:41:34 +0100, Gopher wrote:

In message , Pam Moore
writes
I have an orchid (cymbidium) which has not flowered for at least 10
years, but is huge. I hardly ever feed and then it's orchid feed.
It is about to split its pot and needs dividing.
Questions;
1. Is now a good time to do it?
2. What sort of pot is recommended? clear plastic, dark plastic,
or terra cotta?
I've got orchid compost and may need to cut the rootball with a knife
as I think it's too congested to divide otherwise.
TIA

Pam in Bristol

Have sent your message to a neighbour who is an award winning expert in
this field. He exhibits and teaches at RHS etc. events. He's on a trip
in Spain but will return on Wednesday. Hope to be able to supply some
useful info then.

Thanks to all who answered. I'll wait for Gopher's neighbour's reply
before I do anything and will report before I repot!

Pam in Bristol