Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default A fast climber that looks good all year round?

On Wed, 4 May 2011 10:39:43 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On 4 May 2011 08:23:01 GMT, "CT" wrote:
Mentalguy2k8 wrote:

Hi, looking for any type of climber to eventually cover a trellis 6-8
feet high, one that flowers but also stays green during winter &
doesn't die.... For climbing up a trellis on a house wall which is
shaded for a bit more than half of the day and full sun for the rest.
Preferably fast growing...

Any ideas from the knowledgable folks in here? Many thanks.

The fastest grpwing thing I ever planted was a Potato Vine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_crispum

That might fit the bill but I think you'll need to prune it regularly
to keep it down to 6-8 feet!

Mine died last winter. I think Solanum crispum is not so hardy if
there are a few frosty days and nights.

Mine did, too, and one I had 20+ years ago died the first winter.
It can't take more than very light frost.

I think it may depend on situation, and maybe a bit of dumb luck. Mine
is in its third year against a wall in a little courtyard with only a
bit of sun. It grows like a mad thing, and has to be pruned every
year, and has survived two hard winters in a row in the West Mids. It
doesn't look good all year round.

--
Mike.