Old 05-05-2011, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default Water storage

On 2011-05-01 14:56:19 +0100, Donwill said:

With the impending drought becoming more of a reality, a forecasted
lack of rain in May and June and a hot dry Summer. What arrangements
have you made to save valuable shrubs and trees if there is a hosepipe
ban.
Suggestions:
Too late for rain water buts/storage tanks.
Save: washing up water, ditto Shower/Bath water for use when it gets
really hot and dry.
Don

There are no hosepipe bans on the horizon.
----------
http://www.hortweek.com/Landscape/ar...-bans-planned/

Hottest

April since 1910 but no hosepipe bans planned

By Matthew Appleby Wednesday, 04 May 2011

April was the hottest on record since 1910 for England and Wales,
according to the Met Office, with just 21 per cent of expected rainfall.

The average temperature for the month was 10.7 degrees Celsius (51.3
degrees Fahrenheit), eclipsing the 10.2 degrees average of 2007, the
Met Office said.

Rainfall for the month was 36.77 millimeters (1.4 inches), the eleventh
driest April since record-keeping began 111 years ago, or 52 percent of
the average for that month, it said.

But water companies say a hosepipe ban is not on the cards.

United Utilities said reservoirs across the North West are 90 per cent
full on average so there are no plans for hosepipe bans yet.

An Environment Agency representative said: "April has been very dry as
was March. Water companies are not expecting to put any extra
restrictions on public supplies.

"They are confident at the moment that there will be enough water to
avoid restrictions through spring and summer but going forward we may
have to speak to farmers about the use of water in some agricultural
practices. If the very dry weather continues it may be we look at
preventing farmers taking water from rivers to irrigate their crops.

"We are working very closely with the water companies and with the Met
Office, and will monitor things in order to ensure supplies are not
disrupted."